Good eyesight contributes to a better quality of life. When you want to see and feel your best, you may want to consider LASIK or another refractive procedure customized to your specific condition.
The internationally-recognized ophthalmologists at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, part of the University of Miami Health System, have performed refractive surgery procedures since 1980 and LASIK surgery since 1995. Over the years, they have participated in many of the clinical trials that led to FDA-approval of the various LASIK, SMILE, and corneal crosslinking procedures.
Their expertise guides every aspect of your care and ensures the safety of your procedure. It’s the reason why Bascom Palmer is ranked the number one eye hospital in the U.S.
We correct the following visual disorders:
- Nearsightedness (myopia): Difficulty seeing objects at a distance, but can usually see up close.
- Farsightedness (hyperopia): Difficulty seeing clearly from up close.
- Astigmatism (blurry vision): Distorted vision, similar to looking into a wavy mirror.
- Presbyopia (age-related vision loss): Difficulty seeing up close, but can usually see at a distance, due to aging.
The first step to knowing if you will benefit from treatment is a comprehensive evaluation. There is no charge for this initial comprehensive exam. During this appointment, a vision correction specialist will evaluate your eye health history and vision and will discuss your expectations for surgery. This will determine whether you are a candidate for vision correction surgery.
Next, one of our optometrists or board-certified ophthalmologists thoroughly examines your eyes to determine your most appropriate treatment options. Using sophisticated imaging devices, your eye doctor precisely measures your eyes to ensure that you experience the best possible vision after your procedure.
After your exam, we will recommend the best solution to eliminate or decrease your need for glasses or contact lenses.
When it comes to correcting your vision, Bascom Palmer offers significant benefits:
- Recognized as the Nation’s No. 1 Eye Hospital by U.S. News & World Report.
- Customized treatments for even the most challenging refractive issues.
- Trusted doctors, who are internationally recognized as leaders in their field, perform your procedure.
What is Laser Vision Correction?
Laser vision correction surgery is used to treat the common “refractive errors” of nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness (hyperopia), and astigmatism (blurry vision).
Laser vision correction is an outpatient procedure requiring local anesthesia and a mild sedative, taken orally. Most patients experience improved vision immediately after surgery, with minimal downtime and wake up with good vision the next morning. Vision continues improving over the next few weeks. During this time, our patients receive supportive follow-up care.
Is Laser Vision Correction Right for You?
Before scheduling your evaluation, consider the following characteristics of a good candidate:
- 18+ years or older
- Tired of wearing glasses or contact lenses
- No prescription change in glasses or contacts in last 1-2 years
- Have reasonable expectations for the procedure and understand the risks and benefits
- Not pregnant or nursing
- No corneal diseases or collagen vascular diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis
- No significant problems with wound healing
Our Laser Centers
Every patient has unique visual needs. If you qualify for LASIK or another eyesight correction procedure, your physician will recommend the treatment that is best suited for you.
Bascom Palmer laser specialists use leading edge technologies to correct your eyesight safely and accurately. All of our lasers use eye tracking technology to ensure meticulous positioning, even if your eye moves during your procedure. At our disposal is the most comprehensive array of laser technologies available almost anywhere in the world, which allows us to personalize your treatment. Our excimer and femtosecond laser solutions include:
- Zeiss – Visumax and Mel-80
- Alcon – Wavelight FS200 and Wavelight EX 500
- Johnson & Johnson – IFS and VISX
For your convenience, we have four vision correction centers located throughout South Florida.
LASIK evaluations are performed in Miami, Palm Beach Gardens, Plantation, and Coral Gables, but surgery is only available in Miami and Palm Beach Gardens.