Evelyn F. and William L. McKnight Vision Research Building
1638 NW 10th Avenue
Miami, FL 33136
Laboratory research at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute is currently housed in the Evelyn F. and William L. McKnight Building.
Constructed in 1962, the McKnight building was Bascom Palmer Eye Institute’s original home. The building housed the entire ophthalmology enterprise in its four floors. When the new Anne Bates Leach Eye Hospital opened across the street in 1976, patient clinics and clinical faculty offices were relocated to this facility. This opened up space in the McKnight building to accommodate expansion of the laboratory research program.
In the same year William L. McKnight, the legendary leader of Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company (3M), gave a multi-million dollar gift to name the McKnight Vision Research Center and its ongoing expansion and activities. The gift underwrote research programs.
In 1989, a $5.5 million capital campaign expanded the McKnight building by 40,000 square feet with addition of four floors. A construction grant awarded by the National Eye Institute provided partial funding for lab build-out.
Upon her death in 1999, Bascom Palmer received a gift from Mr. McKnight’s widow Evelyn which created an endowment to be used to upkeep and maintain the William L. McKnight Vision Research Building. In the same year, the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees of the University of Miami approved the renaming of the McKnight Building as the “Evelyn F. and William L. McKnight Vision Research Building.”
In addition to the research and scientific activities, the modern eight-story McKnight building houses the Institute’s central administrative offices. A series of architectural remodeling projects begun in 2002 has turned the McKnight building into a state-of-the-art facility for modern wet and dry lab research. This period has also seen an up-grading and expansion of shared laboratory research core facilities.
Ophthalmic Clinical Research Center
1120 NW 14th St
Miami, FL 33136
The Ophthalmic Clinical Research Center (OCRC) is located in the medical school’s newly opened Clinical Research Building (CRB), which is a short walk from the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute and William L. McKnight Building. The OCRC’s office space is on the 15th floor and clinic space for research subject encounters is located on the 5th floor.
The OCRC comprises several interconnected clinical research units, a clinic dedicated to research subject encounters, and supporting infrastructure for ophthalmic clinical trials, genetic research, and epidemiology studies.
Bringing together research groups from multiple departments, the CRB represents a bold experiment to transform the environment for clinical research at the University of Miami. The CRB houses the university’s NIH-sponsored General Clinical Research Center, and is the home of the new Miami Institute for Medical Discoveries and Health Disparities. Bascom Palmer is contributing to the university’s application for an NIH Clinical and Translational Research Award to support this new enterprise.