The George E. Merrick Society is named after the founder of both the city of Coral Gables and the University of Miami. The eldest son of one of the area’s pioneers, Merrick joined with Judge William E. Walsh, William Jennings Bryan, and other community leaders to formulate the university’s original charter.
The George E. Merrick Society honors those whose commitments to the University have reached $1 million and above. Individual members of the society are recognized by a golden medallion suspended from a golden chain. Members also receive a specially-commissioned Steuben Crystal – The Pyramid Block – bearing the University of Miami seal and the name of the society.
The following George E. Merrick Society members have contributed between $1,000,000 and $4,999,999 to the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center:
- The Applebaum Foundation, Inc.
- Cancer Link
- B. and Donald Carlin
- Estate of Dolores Chambreau
- Alexander D. Daly
- Dolphins Cycling Challenge
- Steve Dwoskin- Dwoskin Foundation
- Sheila and David Fuente
- Estate of Robert Horner
- Estate of Will Hudson
- Roni & Sam Jacobson Family Foundation
- Nedra Kalish
- Jan and Dan Lewis
- Peacock Foundation, Inc.
- Estelle and George Rosenfield
- Judy H. and John K. Schulte
- Estate of Paul Sorren
- Woldenberg Foundation
- Woman’s Cancer Association of the University of Miami