There are several paranasal sinus and nasal (nose) cancers. They get their names from the bones that surround them, including:
- The frontal sinuses in the lower forehead above the nose
- The maxillary sinuses are the cheekbones on either side of the nose
- The ethmoid sinuses beside the upper nose and between the eyes
- The sphenoid sinuses behind the nose in the center of the skull
Squamous cell carcinoma is often diagnosed in the paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity. Squamous cells are thin, flat cells inside the sinuses and nasal cavity.
Other paranasal sinus and nasal cavity cancers include:
- Melanoma: This cancer begins growing in melanocytes, which are cells that give your skin its natural color.
- Sarcoma: Sarcomas are cancers that grow inside muscle or connective tissue.
- Inverting papilloma: Benign tumors that form inside the nose. Very few inverting papillomas become cancer.
- Midline granulomas: These cancers are in the tissues found in the middle of the face.
Why Choose Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center?
One of only 71 NCI-designated cancer centers in the United States. Sylvester is one of only two cancer centers in Florida that have been recognized by the National Cancer Institute. The team earned this distinction through its outstanding work conducting research in its laboratories, treating patients in its clinics and hospitals, and reaching out to medically underserved communities with innovative prevention strategies.
The Department of Otolaryngology ranks No. 9 in the nation according to U.S. News & World Report. The team has one of the largest academic head-neck cancer groups in the country at South Florida’s only NCI-designated cancer center, Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center. Surgeons lead a well-established multidisciplinary oncology team, incorporating innovative techniques such as oral cancer screening, robotic technology, microvascular reconstruction, sentinel node identification, and a specialized postoperative care unit for these complex procedures.
More board-certified head and neck surgical specialists than any other South Florida provider. Our team offers advanced, simplified surgery solutions. In the majority of cases requiring reconstruction, you have just one operation for cancer removal and any reconstructive surgery. Sylvester is one of the best places in the country for simultaneous head and neck cancer surgery and microvascular reconstruction.
Multidisciplinary care teams with nationally recognized expertise. Your care team is made up of experts in all aspects of your exact type of cancer. All of your physicians, nurses, and more collaborate to save lives.