When your child is critically ill or injured, we understand it's a stressful situation — and you want an experienced team. The pediatric critical care doctors at University of Miami Health System provide compassionate, family-centered care to get your child back to health as quickly and safely as possible. As we care for your child, we keep you well-informed every step of the way.
Our team is highly experienced in caring for children with a wide variety of conditions. We provide expert care for children and young adults up to age 22 in a 24-bed pediatric critical care unit (PICU). Our critical care specialists work with multiple sub-specialty teams to provide high-acuity care for patients who have had surgeries, transplantation, or complex medical issues.
Our critical care specialists collaborate with several other departments across our health system to give your child complete care, including:
- Our Division Chief also serves as Medical Director for the Holtz Pediatric Palliative Medicine Program (PediPals). Our palliative medicine team helps coordinate an interdisciplinary approach to patient care.
- The Critical Care Team provides sedation support for children undergoing diagnostic imaging, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or a computerized tomography (CT) scan. If your child needs to undergo one of these tests and is overly fearful or too young to follow directions — such as lying still during the test — sedation may make your child more comfortable.
- We work with experts at the Ryder Trauma Center to provide top-notch care for children who’ve experienced trauma or burns.
Pediatric Conditions and Treatments
- Acute Dialysis
- Bone Marrow Transplant
- Complex Congenital (Present From Birth) Heart Disease
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO)
- Hemodynamic Instability
- Solid Organ (Kidney, Liver, Lung, or Heart) and Multivisceral (Liver, Stomach, Pancreas, or Small Bowel) Transplants
- Renal Replacement Therapy
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Ventilator Support for Respiratory (Breathing) Failure
Why Choose UHealth?
Comprehensive, family-centered care. We offer comprehensive, interdisciplinary care and management of complex medical conditions, as well as the continual involvement of parents and families. Our team spearheaded family-centered care as a standard for pediatric critical care, involving parents and families in our doctors' daily rounds to provide updates on status and progress.
Treating young patients from all over the world. Our critical care specialists have significant experience taking care of a culturally diverse patient population. Children and their families come from all over the world to receive quality care, compassionately delivered by outstanding pediatric specialists and other skilled medical professionals within our facilities.
Top-notch care in an academic health system. Backed by one of the nation’s top universities, our team uses the latest technologies and research-driven expertise to provide your child with superior, personalized care and the best outcomes possible. We’re the only academic health center in South Florida with developmental and behavioral pediatric specialists on staff.
Commitment to research and education. As part of a university-based health system, our critical care team is involved in several clinical trials at any given time. Our department houses a three-year fellowship program in pediatric critical care. Our ongoing involvement in research and training the next generation of pediatric critical care providers allows us to offer the latest innovative, emerging treatments more quickly and safely than other facilities.