Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a neurological (brain and nerves) condition that involves a consistent pattern of inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity. Children with ADHD have difficulty with focus, patience, self-control, and other behavior skills that are important in daily life.
Symptoms related to inattention may include:
- Difficulty paying attention to details
- Problems staying on topic while talking and listening to others
- Easily distracted by trivial noises or events that most people ignore
- Forgetting daily activities, such as missing appointments or forgetting to bring lunch
- Lack of focus and organization skillsNot following social rules or noticing social cues
- Tendency to make careless mistakes
Symptoms related to hyperactivity may include:
- Difficulty playing quietly or doing quiet activities
- Unable to sit still and getting up frequently
- Talking excessively
Symptoms related to impulsivity may include:
- Beginning conversations at inappropriate times
- Blurting out answers before someone finishes asking the question
- Frequently interrupting others
University of Miami Health System pediatric developmental-behavioral specialists offer the latest treatments for ADHD. Our team of doctors, specially trained therapists, pediatric nurses, and other specialists work together to ensure your child gets personalized attention. We work with you and your child to help them develop skills to improve their social and academic well-being.
Why Choose UHealth?
World-class health care for children. Children and their families come from all over the world to receive top-quality care from our compassionate team of pediatric specialists. Your child receives personalized attention from doctors who are sought out for their expertise.
Research leads to better treatments for your child. In addition to seeing patients, our doctors are involved in leading-edge research at one of the nation’s top medical schools, Miller School of Medicine. Through this research, we have access to innovative treatments and procedures more quickly than other facilities. Our team uses the latest technologies and research findings to provide your child with superior, personalized care.
HealthySteps program helps children meet milestones. What this means to you: All our general pediatrics offices use the HealthySteps program to ensure that children are developing appropriately for their age — physically, emotionally, and psychologically. When there are issues or concerns, we work closely with patients and their families to connect them with support resources.