Radiation therapy uses radioactive beams (external-beam radiation) or substances (brachytherapy or seed implantation) to target and destroy cancer cells or prevent them from growing and spreading. Radiation is so effective in treating some types of cancer that more than half of all people with cancer receive radiation as part of their treatment.
Radiation zeros in on a tumor or cancerous cells. We have experience and resources to deliver therapy safely and protect healthy tissue from radiation therapy:
- Technologically advanced equipment and approaches allow greater precision
- Expert-designed treatment schedules spread radiation treatments over time
- Highly trained and experienced radiation oncology experts specialize in techniques that reduce side effects of radiation therapy
We use radiation therapy:
- Combined with chemotherapy: To improve chemotherapy (cancer-fighting medicines) results by further shrinking the tumor. Chemotherapy, in turn, can enhance the effects of radiation by making cancer cells more susceptible to radiation therapy.
- Before surgery: To shrink a tumor and make it easier for the surgeon to remove.
- After surgery: To stop any remaining cancer cells from growing, or prevent the cancer from returning or spreading.
- For patients with untreatable cancer: To shrink the tumor, which reduces pain, pressure, and other cancer symptoms.
Why Choose UHealth?
Comprehensive care from a highly specialized cancer care team. You benefit from all the experience and resources available at the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Advanced, cancer expertise and treatment in South Florida. Our radiation oncology specialists are also researchers discovering new ways to improve cancer treatment. That means you can get some of today’s most promising advancements through clinical trials. You benefit from the latest developments that are fast-tracked from the lab to the bedside.
Leading-edge radiation therapy technology. Our advanced equipment allows your doctor to target cancer cells with greater precision to spare healthy tissue and minimize side effects, including MRI-guided radiation therapy, IMRT, TrueBeam®, and Gamma Knife radiosurgery. You receive treatments you can’t find anywhere else nearby.