The Bascom Palmer Surgery Center in Naples is owned and operated by the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute of the University of Miami Health System. Surgery is performed by faculty members of Bascom Palmer Eye Institute and anesthesia services are provided by the Anesthesiology Department of University of Miami Health System.
Our surgery center maintains accreditation through AAAHC (Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care) and we provide surgical care of the highest accepted standards to our patients. Our faculty are available for appointments to review your surgical needs and work with you to plan your surgery.
We accept many insurances and will be happy to review your insurance plans for acceptance. You may request a personalized estimate. This can be done when scheduling your surgery or as follow-up with our insurance verifier who will be able to identify your payments and insurance coverage details. More information is provided in the surgical packet that you will receive when you schedule your surgery.
There will be providers who will bill separately from the surgery center, such as the surgeons, anesthesiology groups, and pathology groups. You may contact these providers to obtain a personalized estimate and to find out if they accept your insurance plan.
Meet Our Surgeons
Below is the list of surgeons providing services at our location. Their biographical and contact information can be obtained by clicking on the links below.
Stephen Schwartz, MD, Retina, Medical Director
William Smiddy, MD, Retina
Allister Gibbons, MD, Cornea
Victoria Chang, MD, Cornea
Jaime Martinez Martinez, MD, Cornea
Brian Tse, MD, Oculoplastics
Andrew Rong, MD, Oculoplastics
Alison J. Lauter, MD, Glaucoma, Cateracts & Intraocular
Richard Peterman, MD
Dr. Peterman is currently the director of anesthesia services and associate medical director at Bascom Palmer in Naples. Dr. Peterman grew up in South Florida, attended the University of Florida on an academic scholarship and studied medicine at the University of Miami. He has enjoyed a 30-year career in anesthesiology, including 22 years in academic medicine.
Arpan Mehta, BM, FRCA
Dr. Mehta is on the Faculty of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine at the University of Miami and its affiliated hospitals. He completed medical school at the University of Southampton, U.K. This was soon followed by completing his residency in anesthesia at Warwick School of Anesthesia in Birmingham and the North Central School of Anesthesia in London. Dr. Mehta is fellowship trained in Perioperative Anesthesia from the University of Toronto (Toronto Western Hospital).
Please use the links provided to access more information about our center:
- Patient Rights and Responsibilities
- Good Faith Estimate
- No Surprises Billing Rights
- UHealth Billing Information (includes financial assistance, collections, etc.)
- Anesthesia Billing Questions: 305-243-6347
- At the Bascom Palmer Surgery Center in Naples, we want you to be able to focus on what is most important: getting and staying well. We know that it can be difficult to understand the costs associated with receiving care. That is why we want to give you pricing information for common services and help you understand these costs. Please click on this link to get a personalized estimate. If you have questions about your estimate, please reach out to our Patient Benefit Advisors team at 305-326-6486.
- If you are covered by Medicare, you may choose to contact the Medicare Ombudsman at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) or on line at https://www.medicare.gov/basics/your-medicare-rights/get-help-with-your-rights-protections.html
The role of the Medicare Beneficiary Ombudsman is to ensure that Medicare beneficiaries receive the information and help you need to understand your Medicare options and to apply your Medicare rights and protections.
- Our Financial Assistance policies and applications are available by clicking on the following link. These policies will help you understand more about our financial policies and when financial assistance will be given.
- For information on payments made to facilities for defined service bundles and procedures, you can go to ACHA pricing website (https://pricing.floridahealthfinder.gov). The service bundle information is a non-personalized estimate of costs that may be incurred by the patient for anticipated services and actual costs will be based on the services actually provided for the patient.
Communicate confidently with your health care team by taking advantage of our interpreter services.Services We Offer
When you register as a patient or come to our Surgery Center, please ask about:
- In-person interpretation services for Spanish
- Telephone interpretation services
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística.
Bascom Palmer Surgery Center in Naples
3880 Tamiami Trail N.
Naples, FL 34103