We are looking forward to seeing you at Bascom Palmer. As our patient, you will receive the finest eye care available. Please review the information provided below to help prepare for your appointment.
What to Expect
Because of the thoroughness and complexity of your eye examination at Bascom Palmer, please allow four hours for your appointment.
Your comprehensive appointment may include an assessment by an ophthalmic technician, diagnostic imaging testing, your doctor’s or provider’s examination and possible course of treatment. We are committed to providing the highest standard of care.
Your appointment may consist of these steps:
- Arrival and registration (15 minutes): Upon arrival, COVID-19 screening will be performed for your safety. Prior to your scheduled time, you will begin registration to update your health insurance, contact, and payment information.
- We will ask you to register for MyUHealthChart to access your medical records online. It provides a convenient method of communication with your doctor’s office. You can renew prescriptions; send messages and request appointments – all online. You may also elect to receive notifications by text message for future appointments.
- Testing and Procedures (60 to 90 minutes): You will then be seen by an ophthalmic technician who will initiate the necessary preliminary questions regarding your history, medications and testing. This may include dilation of your eyes and diagnostic imaging. During this time, you may also be seen by other members of our clinical care team.
- Your provider’s visit (15 to 60 minutes based upon the complexity of your eye condition): Once the above steps are completed and your eyes have dilated for at least 30 minutes (if needed), your doctor will meet with you for the examination, diagnosis and explanation of treatment, as well as to answer any questions you may have.
- Treatment (30 minutes): Based upon your doctor’s diagnosis, possible treatments may be done at this time.
- Check-Out (15 minutes): Future appointments will be scheduled and payments will be made at this time.
What to Bring
Please bring these items to your appointment:
- Prescription eyeglasses or contact lenses
- Sunglasses (for light sensitivity after your examination)
- List of all your current medications (including eye drops)
- Pertinent medical records
- A photo ID
- Names, e-mail address and fax numbers for your non-University of Miami physicians
- Proof of insurance coverage
- Authorization or referral forms if required by your insurance company
- Questions for your doctor
Your Child's Visit
Please bring the items listed above in addition to the following:
- Bottles, baby formula, and diapers for infants
- Favorite toy or other special items needed for your child's comfort
- Any needed legal papers if applicable
Children under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, including all preadmission and surgical procedures. In the case of a legal guardian, an official court letter of guardianship must be provided.
Payments and Insurance/Health Plan CoverageCo-payments and deductibles are collected at the time of your appointment. We accept cash, personal check, MasterCard, Visa and American Express. If you have questions regarding your insurance coverage, contact your insurance carrier directly. You may also call the UHealth Central Insurance Verification Office at 305-243-2031.
Rapid Virtual Eye Care
We invite patients traveling from outside the United States to use our International Concierge Service. Our team is committed to deliver a courteous, helpful and respectful patient experience throughout your appointment.
At Bascom Palmer, interpreters are available at no cost to assist communication between health care providers and patients whose primary language is not English.
Bascom Palmer also has Video Remote Interpretation (VRI), which is a video-telecommunication service that uses devices such as web cameras or videophones to provide sign language or spoken language interpreting services in place of an interpreter at the location. Each Bascom Palmer Eye Care Center has VRI devices available for use.