At Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, part of the University of Miami Health System, our team is highly experienced and trained in treating conditions that affect both your brain (“neuro”) and vision.
Neuro-ophthalmology is specialty that addresses the relationship between the eye and the brain, focusing on disorders of the optic nerve (that connects the eye to the brain), orbit (eye socket), and brain.
Our experts provide comprehensive clinical care to patients with a broad spectrum of vision problems due to inherited retinal diseases, optic nerve diseases, central nervous system disorders, ocular motility dysfunction (abnormal eye alignment or problems controlling eye movements), and pupillary abnormalities.
Conditions and Treatments
- Anterior infectious optic neuropathies
- Brain disorders involving vision
- Cerebrovascular disorders involving vision
- Compressive optic neuropathy
- Cranial nerve palsy and ocular motor disorders
- Giant cell arteritis
- Hemifacial spasm
- Hereditary optic neuropathies
- Idiopathic intracranial hypertension
- Inflammatory and infectious optic neuropathies
- Ischemic optic neuropathy
- Myasthenia gravis
- Nutritional and toxic optic neuropathies
- Optic nerve diplopia surgery
- Optic neuritis
- Paraneoplastic disorders
- Pupillary abnormalities
- Tumors involving vision
- Visual electrophysiology
Why Choose Bascom Palmer Eye Institute?
Ranked #1 by U.S. News & World Report. Bascom Palmer Eye Institute is the top-rated facility in the country for the treatment of diseases and disorders of the eye, according to U.S. News & World Report. When you choose us for your eye care, you will receive the best care in the nation in a compassionate setting.
World-Class Care in an Academic Health System. Backed by one of the nation’s top universities, our team uses the latest technologies and research-driven expertise to provide you with superior, personalized care and the best outcomes.