The UHealth Sleep Center regards the education of our fellows as one of our highest priorities. As an integral part of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, the Sleep Medicine Fellowship Training Program pursues three interrelated areas: treatment, research and education.
The University of Miami Sleep Medicine fellowship training program is an ACGME-accredited multidisciplinary sleep medicine training program consisting of pulmonary, neurology, otolaryngology, psychiatry, bariatric surgery and sleep psychology faculty. The one-year fellowship consists of up to four sleep medicine fellows with backgrounds in internal medicine, pulmonary, neurology, psychiatry, surgery and anesthesiology. The AASM accredited sleep center sites include the UHealth Sleep Center located at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine and the Miami Veterans Administration Medical Center located adjacent to the medical school campus. Applications to our Sleep Medicine Training Program are accepted via ERAS and the National Resident Match Program.
Each rotation lasts one month and there are opportunities to do electives outside of the core rotations listed below.
- University of Miami clinic fellow: During this month the fellow works on a one-to-one basis with various attending physicians examining patients.
- University of Miami Pediatrics-polysomnography reading fellow: During this month the fellow spends 3 days a week reading polysomnography study reports. Also he/she is works alongside our pediatric sleep medicine specialists evaluating sleep disorders in the pediatric population.
- Miami VAMC fellow: During this month the fellow reviews polysomnography study reports with various attending physicians at the VA. The fellow attends a full day clinic on Thursdays at the Miami VA and is also responsible for conducting a telemedicine/telehealth clinic from the Miami VA with the surrounding community-based outpatient centers serving veterans from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West, FL.
- Weekly lecture series: Given by attending physicians covering various topics of sleep medicine.
- Monthly Journal Club: Conducted by the sleep fellows. At each journal club 2 articles are critically appraised.
- University of Miami Sleep Conference
- Case Discussions
- Yearly Presentations at the APSS meeting
- Yearly UHealth Sleep Disorders and Treatments Symposium
The Sleep Medicine Fellowship Program Director is
- Alexandre Rocha Abreu, MD, FAASM, FCCP,
Director of UHealth Sleep Center and Assistant Professor of Medicine.
The University of Miami faculty includes
- Alexandre Abreu, MD
- Alejandro Chediak, MD
- Salim Dib, MD
- Alberto Ramos, MD
- Jose Ruiz, MD
- Carlos Torre, MD
The Miami VA faculty members are
- Idriz Kovacevic, MD
- Douglas Wallace, MD
- William Wohlgemuth, MD
Current Fellows and Alumni
- Spencer, Kamilah (Family Medicine)
- Urbieta, Victor (Pulmonary/Critical Care)
- El Khatib, Ahmad (Pulmonary/Critical Care)
- Brito, Yoel (Pulmonary/Critical Care)
- Castillo Pedraza, Catalina (Pediatrics)
- Kwasnik, Aleksandra (Pulmonary/Critical Care)
- Ara Samra (Anesthesiology)
- Sonja Dickens (Pulmonary/Critical Care)
- Daniel Ricardo Fernandez Soto (Anesthesiology)
- Kevin Gleason (Psychiatry)
- Jose Ruben Valle (Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Medicine)
- Desiree Garcia (Internal Medicine)
- Dagmar Lin (Pulmonary-Critical Care)
- Edgar Mercado (Critical Care)
- Jose Medina Smester (Internal Medicine)
- Adam Slansky (Neurology)
- Daniel Guerra (Internal Medicine)
- Daniel Ahoubim (Neurology)
- Andres Endara-Bravo (Internal Medicine, Pulmonary-Critical Care)
- Daniela Guilliam (Neurology)
- Edward Mezerhane (Internal Medicine)
- Jocelyn Cheng (Neurology)
- Carlos Cordero (Internal Medicine and Pulmonary-Critical Care)
- Joseph Diamond (Neurology)
- David Zuckerman (Internal Medicine and Pulmonary-Critical Care)
- Roberto Acosta (Neurology)
- Juan Del Rio (Internal Medicine and Pulmonary-Critical Care)
- Idriz Kovacevic (Neurology and Psychiatry)
- Stefanie Torres-Ramirez (Internal Medicine and Pulmonary-Critical Care)
- Shahida Bashir (Internal Medicine and Pulmonary-Critical Care)
- Tanish Maze (Internal Medicine-Pediatrics)
- Shariqua Raoof (Internal Medicine and Pulmonary-Critical Care)
- Margaret Saldahna (Neurology)
- Samora Y Cotterell (Internal Medicine)
- Ashwin Mehta (Internal Medicine)
- Christine Pierre (Neurology)
- Eric J Shakespeare (Internal Medicine and Pulmonary-Critical Care)