Interventional radiology refers to minimally invasive procedures that diagnose and treat a variety of conditions. Interventional radiologists insert a catheter (thin, flexible tube) through a tiny incision in your wrist or upper thigh and into a large blood vessel. We use X-ray, ultrasound, and other imaging techniques during the procedure to guide the catheter.
This less-invasive approach can offer an alternative to surgery for many people. Since interventional radiology procedures only require a small incision, it means you experience less pain and a faster recovery than with traditional surgery. Usually, interventional radiology procedures won’t need an overnight hospital stay.
Our interventional radiologists work with other doctors in a wide range of specialties to treat problems related to:
- Men’s Health (Prostate artery embolization for an enlarged prostate gland, varicoceles)
- Peripheral Artery Disease (leg pain with walking, wounds/ulcers on the feet and toes)
- Peripheral Venous Disease (treatments for acute and chronic DVTs)
- Cancer throughout the body (minimally invasive treatments including delivering chemotherapy directly to a tumor through the blood vessels or heating/freezing tumors)
- Women’s Health (Uterine Artery Embolization for fibroids, Pelvic Congestion Syndrome)
- Spine Disease (Vertebroplasty/Kyphoplasty for vertebral body fractures and treatments for spine pain)
Why Choose UHealth?
Multidisciplinary approach. Cancer treatment at the University of Miami Health System has evolved to emphasize individualized care provided in a coordinated effort by multiple specialties. This includes oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists and interventional radiologists. Interventional radiologists treat cancer from a loco-regional approach focusing on a specific organ or target lesion using minimally invasive intra-arterial or percutaneous techniques.
Expert care from highly trained interventional radiologists. Our interventional radiologists and radiology specialists are experts in a variety of minimally invasive procedures — everything from treatments to clear blocked blood vessels to advanced cancer therapies like NanoKnife®.
Leading-edge imaging care in South Florida. Our doctors are also researchers discovering new ways to improve diagnosis and treatment. That means you can get some of today’s most promising advancements through clinical trials. You benefit from the latest developments that are fast-tracked from the lab to the bedside.