Pulmonary rehabilitation is designed for the treatment of chronic lung diseases. Research has shown that programs targeted at addressing modifiable risk factors – or things within your control, such as diet and exercise – can help you feel better and live a fuller life with lung disease.
The University of Miami Health System offers a comprehensive Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program that provides you with the support and education you need to achieve these lifestyle modifications and goals. Our therapy team works closely with our expert pulmonary team for personalized, coordinated care of your condition. Our 12-week program is geared towards improving the function of your lungs, reducing your symptoms and improving your overall quality of life.
The services we offer include:
- Customized exercise program
- Education on management of pulmonary disease
- Nutritional counseling
- Patient assessment
- Smoking cessation
- Stress management
- Weight management
Who is a Candidate?
You may be a candidate for our pulmonary rehabilitation program if you have any of the following lung conditions:
- Alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency (genetic condition that causes serious lung disease)
- Bronchiectasis (permanent enlargement of parts of the airways of the lungs)
- Bronchiolitis obliterans (obstruction of the smallest airways of the lungs due to swelling)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Cystic fibrosis
- Interstitial lung disease
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Pulmonary hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Sarcoidosis (inflammatory disease that can affect multiple areas of the body)
What to Expect
Your pulmonary rehabilitation team may include:
- Medical director
- Nurse practitioner
- Physical therapist
- Psychologist or psychiatrist
- Respiratory therapist
Our team customizes your pulmonary rehabilitation plan to help you meet your goals. You can expect to attend pulmonary rehab at our outpatient facility twice per week for 12 weeks.
Most insurance plans cover pulmonary rehabilitation for qualifying diagnoses. We also offer a self-pay option for those without insurance coverage or for an extended program.
Why Choose UHealth?
World-class care in an academic health center. As a research and teaching institution, we treat children and adults with proven, leading-edge procedures based on clinical studies performed at the Miller School of Medicine. Our doctors, residents, nurses, and therapists work together to improve health care.
Questions? We're here to help.
Our appointment specialists are ready to help you find what you need. Contact us today.