When you have pain, swelling, or ringing in your ears, the audiology experts at University of Miami Health System will help return you to sound health.
Approximately 20 percent of American adults — roughly 48 million people — report some trouble hearing, according to the Hearing Loss Association of America. We provide compassionate care for a variety of situations that cause hearing loss, including:
- Auditory neuropathy spectrum disorder: problems with the transmission of sound from the ear to the brain
- Cholesteatoma: unusual skin growth in the middle ear behind the eardrum
- Conductive hearing loss: problems with the ear conducting sound waves
- Meniere’s disease: inner ear disorder that causes a spinning sensation
- Otosclerosis: hereditary condition in which the ear cannot amplify sound
- Sensorineural hearing loss: damage to the inner ear
- Tinnitus: ringing in the ears
Hearing loss can happen quickly or gradually, whether it is mild or severe. We also treat hearing loss caused by other situations, including:
- A perforated (hole or tear) eardrum
- Chronic ear infections
- Injury to the head or ear
- Medications, including chemotherapy drugs or excessive amounts of aspirin
- Noise exposure
- Viral or bacterial infections
Why Choose UHealth?
The Department of Otolaryngology ranks No. 9 in the nation according to U.S. News & World Report. The ranking reflects the department’s dedication to excellence in research, patient care and outcomes. The experts in the UHealth Ear Institute provide comprehensive and innovative care of ear, hearing, and balance disorders. This includes the Children’s Hearing Program and the hereditary deafness clinical and research group, where more than 15 percent of the known genetic hearing loss mutations have been discovered.
World-class care in an academic health system. We are recognized throughout South Florida and the world as a leader in treating conditions and disorders of the ear, nose, and throat. Backed by one of the nation’s top universities, our team uses the latest technologies and research-driven expertise to provide you with superior, personalized care and the best outcomes.