If your child needs surgery, you want an experienced team you can trust. At University of Miami Health System, your child will receive the best care possible, delivered by experienced pediatric surgeons. Our surgeons work with other pediatric specialists, pediatric nurses, and additional health care professionals to provide top-quality treatment.
Choosing a pediatric surgeon is an important decision, and you can feel confident in our expertise. Our surgeons perform more than 2,000 surgeries a year – from routine procedures, such as appendectomies (appendix removal), to performing surgery for the most complex congenital (present at birth) conditions. When possible, we use minimally-invasive techniques to minimize downtime and post-surgical pain, including:
- Robotic surgery
- Needlescopic surgery
- Single incision laparoscopic surgery
- Sutureless repair gastroschisis
Our board certified pediatric surgeons provide services at a wide range of pediatric hospitals in Miami Dade County, including Holtz Children’s Hospital and many other hospitals in South Florida. We specialize in treating children of all ages, from newborns to teens. We have advanced experience in trauma, cancer, and chest surgeries.
Conditions and Treatments
- Pulmonary Sequestration
- Thoracic (Chest) Surgery
- Birth Defects
- Complex Congenital Anomalies
- Congenital Cystic Adenomatoid Malformations (Lung disorder in which an entire lobe of the lung is replaced with a non-working piece of abnormal lung tissue)
- Diaphragmatic Hernia
- Esophagael Atresia (Birth defect that causes a problem between the esophagus and stomach in the baby’s digestive tract)
- Gastroschisis (Birth defect in which the baby’s intestines are outside the body)
- Omphalocele (Birth defect in which the baby’s intestines, liver, or other organs stick out of the abdomen through the belly button)
- Colon/Rectal Surgery
- Imperforate (Malformed) Anus
- Polypoid Diseases
- Female Reproductive
- Ovarian Cysts
- Ovarian Torsion (Twisting)
- Choledochal Cyst
- Esophageal and Lung Surgery
- Duodenal Atresia
- Fundoplacation (Procedure to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD)
- Gastrointestinal Bleeding
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Intestinal Atresia (Blockage)
- Intestinal Failure and Bowel Rehabilitation
- Pyloromyotomy (Procedure to treat pyloric stenosis, or narrowing)
- Tracheoesophageal Fistula (Unusual connection between the esophagus and the trachea)
- Pediatric Tumors or Cancer
- Plastic Surgery
Why Choose UHealth?
World-class health care for children. Children and their families come from all over the world to receive top-quality care from our compassionate team of pediatric specialists. Your child will receive personalized attention from doctors who are sought out for their expertise.
Research leads to better treatments for your child. Our doctors not only treat patients – we are also closely involved with leading-edge research at one of the nation’s top medical schools, Miller School of Medicine. For example, we are currently involved in studying the long-term behavior of the Zika virus to learn what risks for hearing and development are associated with the virus.
Through these types of studies, we have access to innovative treatments and procedures, more quickly than other facilities. Our team uses the latest technologies and research findings to provide your child with superior, personalized care.
HealthySteps Program helps children meet milestones. All of our general pediatrics offices use the HealthySteps Program to ensure that children are developing appropriately for their age — physically, emotionally, and psychologically. When there are issues or concerns, we work closely with children and their families to connect them with support resources. We’re the only academic medical center in South Florida that has developmental and behavioral pediatric specialists on staff.
Recognized for our exceptional care. Many of our pediatric doctors are recognized as America’s Top Doctors® by Castle Connolly — doctors who are nominated by their peers as being the very best in their communities. We have more Top Doctors than any other health system in South Florida. We’re affiliated with Holtz Children’s Hospital, one of the largest children’s hospitals in the southeastern United States. The hospital is ranked among the nation’s Best Hospitals by U.S. News & World Report in diabetes and endocrinology, gastroenterology and GI surgery, and nephrology.