While advances in cancer treatment have saved millions of lives over the years, a cancer diagnosis continues to be a devastating experience. If you are diagnosed with cancer, you will often see multiple doctors to determine your treatment plan, which can include surgery, radiation, and/or chemotherapy, depending upon the diagnosis. Dealing with more complex treatment options, decisions, logistics, and financial issues can often cause high levels of stress, fear, and uncertainty. This is where our Nurse Navigators come in.
Our Nurse Navigators' mission is to improve the cancer experience for every patient. Your care is our top priority. We are here to provide compassion, guidance, and support throughout your complex treatment journey.
Our Nurse Navigators offer support and assistance to all patients who are currently undergoing or have recently received treatment at Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, as well as their families.
How We Can Help
Our Nurse Navigators are specially-trained nurses who understand the devastating loss of control when you or someone you love is faced with cancer. They are knowledgeable and caring nurses who truly understand cancer and its physical challenges. They serve as liaisons between you and your doctors to enhance communication and excellence in oncology patient care.
Your nurse navigator will:
- Act as your advocate and remain a constant as your cancer journey evolves.
- Answer your clinical questions and help prepare you for your visit.
- Assist you in accessing additional care services, such as nutritional counseling, psychosocial counseling, complimentary medicine, and rehabilitation.
- Communicate among doctors and other health care providers on your behalf.
- Connect to all available resources within the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center and our local community.
- Greet and introduce you to the care team.
- Help you overcome barriers of care through education and support, empowering you to make informed treatment decisions.
- Provide access to care in an efficient time frame.
- Respect your wishes and find solutions that fit to your lifestyle and are appropriate to your diagnosis.
- Understand your condition and treatment strategy.