Acne is a common skin disorder that creates inflammation, pimples, and cysts commonly found on the face, neck, back, and shoulders.
Your body naturally keeps the skin moist by producing oil through the oil glands in your hair follicles. However, when your hair follicles get clogged with excess oil and dead skin cells, bacteria start to grow, and this causes pimples and blemishes to appear.
Although acne is most common among teenagers going through puberty, it can appear in people of ages, genders, and ethnicities. The most common types of pimples are:
- Whiteheads: white-colored pimples under the skin’s surface
- Blackheads: black-colored pimples on the skin surface
- Papules: tender, small, pink bumps
- Pustules: pimples with pus on the top and red on the bottom of the lesion
- Nodules: hard, large, painful pimples that arise deep in the skin
- Cysts: pus-filled, deep, painful pimples that often result in scars
Why Choose UHealth?
World-class leaders in skin care treatment. University of Miami Health System is recognized throughout South Florida and the world as a leader in caring for conditions and disorders of the skin. Backed by one of the nation’s top universities, our team uses the latest technologies and research-driven expertise to provide superior, personalized treatments for dermatologic conditions.
Compassionate care in an academic medical center. You benefit from the state-of-the-art technology and latest medical advancements developed by our researchers at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. You will receive the most accurate diagnosis and a detailed plan to keep your skin healthy.