Eczema is a long-lasting skin disorder that is triggered by an allergic reaction. It causes red to brownish-gray, dry, scaly rashes that itch, and can be accompanied by asthma or hay fever. If you have eczema, it probably began during your childhood, as this disorder is less likely to develop when you’re an adult.
Your symptoms may vary in severity and look different from others affected by eczema. Symptoms of eczema can flare periodically and then clear up for a time, even for several years. Below are some of the most common symptoms:
- Itching, which may be severe, especially at night
- Red to brownish-gray rashes or patches, especially on the hands, feet, ankles, wrists, neck, upper chest, eyelids, inside the bend of the elbows and knees, and, in infants, the face and scalp
- Small, raised bumps, which may leak fluid and crust over when scratched
- Thickened, cracked, dry, scaly skin
- Raw, sensitive, swollen skin from scratching
Why Choose UHealth?
World-class leaders in skin care treatment. University of Miami Health System is recognized throughout South Florida and the world as a leader in caring for conditions and disorders of the skin. Backed by one of the nation’s top universities, our team uses the latest technologies and research-driven expertise to provide superior, personalized treatments for dermatologic conditions.
Compassionate care in an academic medical center. You benefit from the state-of-the-art technology and latest medical advancements developed by our researchers at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. You will receive the most accurate diagnosis and a detailed plan to keep your skin healthy.