If you have three or fewer bowel movements in a week, you are likely constipated. With constipation, your stool can be hard and dry, cause excessive straining and is sometimes painful to pass. Constipation typically lasts a short time and is not considered a serious condition. On the other hand, being chronically constipated can interfere with a healthy lifestyle.
Symptoms of constipation may include:
- Difficult and painful bowel movements
- Feeling as though there's a blockage in your rectum that prevents bowel movements
- Feeling as though you can't empty the stool from your rectum
- Feeling swollen (bloated)
- Less than three bowel movements a week
- Lumpy or hard stools
- Needing help to empty your rectum, such as using your hands to press on your abdomen
- Not having much energy
- Unsuccessful straining to move your bowels
You may have chronic constipation, if you've experienced two or more of these symptoms for the last three months.
Why Choose UHealth?Motility lab for accurate diagnosis of GI conditions. The only facility of its kind in South Florida, our motility lab enables our GI specialists to provide accurate diagnoses of GI conditions more quickly and efficiently. We offer a variety of leading-edge services, such as hydrogen breath testing, anal-rectal manometry, and bio-feedback.
A broad array of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. Regardless of your age, condition, or whether you need long- or short-term digestive treatments, you will receive the most accurate diagnosis and most effective treatment to keep your stomach, digestive system, and organs healthy.