Elbow and upper arm pain is caused by injury or stress on the elbow joint, ligaments (connect the bones together), tendons (connect the muscle to the bones), muscles, and bones in the upper arms.
Most elbow and upper arm pain comes from joint wear from aging or due to repetitive motions or overextension during sports, physical activity, or physical tasks at work. Elbow injury symptoms depend on the cause, but they can include pain and tenderness on the inner elbow, stiffness, numbness, tingling, and weakness. Common elbow problems include:
- Cartilage injuries: damage to the tissue that covers the surface of the bone
- Elbow bursitis: painful inflammation
- Elbow fractures or elbow dislocation: bones are broken or moved out of place
- Golfer’s elbow: pain from the elbow to the wrist on the inside of the elbow
- Little Leaguer’s elbow: pain on the inner side of the elbow caused by excessive throwing
- Nerve compression, damage, or impingement: compression of the bony or soft tissue structures during certain activities, such as stretching out the arm and hand
- Osteoarthritis: degenerative wear and tear on the joint
- Rheumatoid arthritis: a chronic (ongoing) inflammatory joint disorder
- Tendonitis or inflammation: occurs due to strained or ruptured tendons, such as a bicep (muscle on the top of the upper arm) tendon injury, or a distal bicep tendon rupture
- Tennis elbow: pain from the outside of the elbow into the forearm and wrist
- Ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) sprain: tear of one of the ligaments on the inner side of the elbow
Why Choose UHealth?
Orthopaedic trauma care you can count on. The trauma team manages orthopaedic trauma services at the University of Miami Hospital, Jackson Memorial Hospital, and Jackson South Community Hospital. Our team is made up of six surgeons who each have a subspecialty focus in orthopaedic trauma. We treat everything from simple fractures that need a brace or cast to complex injuries that are best handled at a Level 1 or Level 2 trauma center.
Questions? We're here to help.
Our appointment specialists are ready to help you find what you need. Contact us today.