In the U.S., a surprisingly high number of men have an enlarged prostate or benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH):
- 50% of men over age 50
- 70% of men age 60-69
- 80% of men age 70+
If you’re among them, the University of Miami Health System has answers. UHealth has one of the few urologists in the U.S. offering a minimally invasive treatment for BPH. This treatment, holmium laser enucleation of the prostate (HoLEP) provides long lasting relief for urinary problems from BPH. HoLEP is also safer and easier on the patients who have failed prior traditional BPH treatment, transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP).
UHealth urologist and surgeon Dr. Hemendra Shah has performed more than 1,600 HoLEP procedures since 2003 and has trained many other urologists in this technique. He has written extensively on urologic topics for peer-reviewed journals and earned multiple awards for presentations at various internal conferences.
How is HoLEP better?
HoLEP offers a quick, effective return to normal urinary function. Compared to the other surgical treatment modality, HoLEP provides many benefits:
- No incisions
- 1-2 day hospital stay
- 2 week recovery
- Less than 24-hour catheter use in most patients
- Minimal pain and swelling
- Fewer complications
- Protects surrounding healthy tissue
- Long-term relief: least retreatment rate amongst all surgical procedures for BPH
- Lower risk of erectile dysfunction
- Preserves tissue for lab testing – biopsies are superior to other prostate cancer screening methods
- Can be performed on any size prostate gland: It is now considered new size-independent Gold Standard.
- PSA counts generally drop to very low levels after HoLEP
- Covered by most insurance companies
Why Choose UHealth?
Comprehensive, leading-edge care. As world leaders in urology care, our physicians use the latest technologies and techniques to treat urologic disorders, male incontinence, and prostate disease. Combining the latest research and least invasive procedures, we help you feel better and recover quicker. Our team of expert urologists personalize your treatment plan so you experience the very best results.
University-based medicine. As an academic medical system, our commitment to groundbreaking research helps us develop new, effective procedures that improve quality of life for people with urologic conditions. Your doctors are also respected educators who lecture on urology topics throughout the world.