Fungus is present in all our surroundings and the air we inhale through the nose. It may be more prevalent in certain moist and humid environments. Most healthy people do not react to the presence of fungus inhaled through their noses on a daily basis, due to a normal functioning immune system. However, in very rare instances, fungus may cause acute or chronic inflammation in the nose and the sinuses.
Fungal sinusitis can come in many forms. It is broadly classified into invasive and non-invasive types:
- Noninvasive: These types are generally non-life threatening and often times associated with certain environmental allergies. It is associated with chronic sinusitis.
- Invasive: These types can progress rapidly and may be life-threatening, requiring hospital admission and further testing and treatments. These invasive infections are generally found in patients with uncontrolled diabetes, or patients undergoing chemotherapy for a variety of blood-related tumors (such as leukemia or lymphoma).
The symptoms of sinusitis may include:
- General fatigue
- Loss of smell or taste
- Nasal congestion or obstruction
- Pain or pressure in face and sinuses
- Runny nose with discolored thick drainage
Why Choose UHealth?
Highly specialized rhinology doctors. The experts at University of Miami Health are here to help you breathe easier, smell better, and rest better with an accurate diagnosis and leading edge treatments in a compassionate setting. Our fellowship-trained providers specialize in the nasal airway, and our rhinology specialists have completed specialized training in nasal and sinus disorders. They have dedicated their clinical and research careers to caring for nasal and sinus disorders.
Our academic health center provides you with more treatment options. Our ENT specialists are experts in the field of rhinology. As part of an academic health center, we are proud to offer breakthrough treatments not available to other facilities in South Florida. We also offer our patients early access to clinical trials and new medical and procedural treatments. We provide comprehensive care for a wide array of rhinologic conditions, backed by expertise, research, and education.