The audiologists and speech-language pathologists at University of Miami Health System help children of all ages to overcome speech, language, and hearing problems. Our specialists are skilled in recognizing concerns early to prevent difficulties with speech and language development, talking, listening, understanding, reading, and writing — and even making friends.
We provide comprehensive evaluations to find out why a child is not responding to sounds or does not seem to be talking like other children of the same age. Then we design therapies and interventions around your child’s needs to create a supportive, comfortable environment for your child:
- Audiologists: Work with children with hearing loss. The audiology team performs hearing screenings for all newborns at Jackson Memorial Hospital, and other area hospitals often refer infants with hearing problems to us because of our expertise. Audiologists also perform diagnostic hearing tests on children referred by area pediatricians, family practitioners, psychologists, and speech language pathologists. The audiology team looks for the presence of hearing loss and, for older children who are struggling in school, the presence of auditory processing problems.
- Speech-language pathologists: Work with children to improve the way they form speech sounds and help them develop language skills. Speech-language pathologists also help children with social language abilities and conduct evaluations for computer-based assistive communication devices. We offer speech-language evaluations and therapy in English and Spanish.
Pediatric Conditions and Treatments
- Augmentative and Assistive Communication Evaluation and Intervention
- Central Auditory Processing Disorder
- Congenital Hearing Disorders
- Diagnostic Hearing Evaluations for Infants, Toddlers, and Older Children
- Hearing Aid Services
- Hearing Loss
- Language Therapy for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Newborn Hearing Screening
- Speech-Language Evaluations and Therapy
- Therapy for Motor Disorders of Speech Production
Why Choose UHealth?
Excellence in treating children’s hearing conditions. We’ve been recognized by Children’s Medical Services (CMS), a division within the Florida Department of Health, for excellence in newborn hearing screening and early identification of hearing loss in infants.
World-class health care for children. Children and their families come from all over the world to receive top-quality care from our compassionate team of pediatric specialists. Your child will receive personalized attention from doctors who are sought out for their expertise.
Research leads to better treatments for your child. In addition to seeing patients, our doctors are closely involved in leading-edge research at one of the nation’s top medical schools, Miller School of Medicine. For example, we’re studying the long-term behavior of the Zika virus to learn what risks for hearing and development are associated with the virus. Through these types of studies, we have access to innovative treatments and procedures, more quickly than other facilities. Our team uses the latest technologies and research findings to provide your child with superior, personalized care.
HealthySteps program helps children meet milestones. All our general pediatrics offices use the HealthySteps program to ensure that children are developing appropriately for their age — physically, emotionally, and psychologically. When there are issues or concerns, we work closely with patients and their families to connect them with support resources. We’re the only academic health center in South Florida with developmental and behavioral pediatric specialists on staff.