If you are experiencing burning or discomfort while you urinate, this is known as dysuria. This condition is typically felt in the urethra (tube that carries urine from the bladder to the outside of the body) or in the perineum (area between the genitals and anus).
There are a number of conditions and factors that can contribute to dysuria, such as:
- Bladder stones
- Cystitis (inflammation of the bladder)
- Certain medicines used to treat cancer
- Having recently undergone a surgical procedure or test that involves the urinary tract
- Kidney infection
- Kidney stones
- Soaps or perfumes to which your body is negatively reacting
- Urethral stricture
- Urinary tract infection (UTI)
- Vaginal yeast infection
- Vaginitis (inflammation of the vagina)
- Various sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), including chlamydia, genital herpes, or gonorrhea
Signs and symptoms of dysuria are burning, irritation, and discomfort when urinating. The urologic experts at the University of Miami Health System can help you find relief.
Why Choose UHealth?
Innovative, expert urology care. Our team of urology experts delivers advanced care for all urologic conditions. We use the latest research and the least invasive procedures to help you feel better and recover more quickly. Our experienced urologists design a personalized treatment plan to give you the best possible results.
Multidisciplinary approach to care. Your team works closely with doctors in radiology, pathology, medical oncology, and other specialties for prompt, accurate diagnosis and comprehensive treatment. You have a team of experts on your side.