Neurogenic bladder is a condition where a person is unable to control their bladder due to a brain, spinal cord, or nerve problem. There are a variety of potential causes of neurogenic bladder, including:
- Heavy metal poisoning
- Infection of the brain
- Infection of the spinal cord
- Major pelvic surgery
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Spinal cord injury
- Spina bifida (condition in which the spinal cord doesn’t properly develop)
Signs and symptoms of neurogenic bladder vary depending on the underlying condition that is causing the problem. Signs and symptoms can include:
- Frequent urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Incontinence (leaking urine and not being able to control urine)
- Increased urinary frequency, urgency, or overactive bladder
- Needing to urinate many times overnight
- Not being able to empty the bladder fully
- Only being able to produce a dribble of urine at a time
Why Choose UHealth?
Innovative, expert urology care. Our team of urology experts delivers advanced care for all urologic conditions. We use the latest research and the least invasive procedures to help you feel better and recover more quickly. Our experienced urologists design a personalized treatment plan to give you the best possible results.
Leaders in robotic surgery treatment. We have some of the world’s most experienced robotic surgeons for urologic procedures. In fact, doctors come from all over the world to learn at our Urology Robotic Program — the #1 ranked program in South Florida. The University of Miami Health System was the first academic medical center in the world to get the da Vinci Xi robotic surgery system and has completed more than 5,000 robotic surgeries — procedures that offer less pain and scarring and a faster recovery.
Multidisciplinary approach to care. Your team works closely with doctors in radiology, pathology, medical oncology, and other specialties for prompt, accurate diagnosis and comprehensive treatment. You have a team of experts on your side.