A communication disorder is when you have trouble receiving, sending, processing, and understanding concepts or verbal, nonverbal, and graphic symbol systems. These disorders range from mild to severe, and are classified in four major groups:
- Speech disorder: when you have trouble communicating due to a problem speaking
- Language disorder: when you cannot understand and/or use spoken, written, and/or other symbol systems
- Hearing disorder: when you have trouble communicating due to a hearing impairment
- Central auditory processing disorder (CAPD): when you have trouble communicating due to a disconnect between what you hear and what you understand
Most of the time, a communication disorder is evident from childhood. The symptoms of communication disorders in young children are:
- Does not speak, or has a very limited vocabulary for their age
- Has difficulty understanding simple directions
- Is unable to name common objects
School-aged children with a communication disorder commonly have problems understanding and formulating words. Teenagers with a communication disorder may have trouble understanding or expressing abstract ideas.
The symptoms of communication disorders can look like other problems or medical conditions, so it’s important to seek the consultation of an expert to make the proper diagnosis.
Why Choose UHealth?
Ranked No. 9 in the nation according to U.S. News & World Report. The ranking reflects the team’s dedication to excellence in research patient care and outcomes. Surgeons, audiologists, biomedical engineers, speech pathologists, researchers, and psychologists collaborate with many research programs at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine to deliver the best possible multidisciplinary care to pediatric and adult ear, nose, and throat patients.
World-class care in an academic health system. We are recognized throughout South Florida and the world as a leader in treating conditions and disorders of the ear, nose, and throat. Backed by one of the nation’s top universities, our team uses the latest technologies and research-driven expertise to provide you with superior, personalized care, and the best outcomes.