Aquatic therapy is a gentler rehabilitation therapy for patients with chronic pain conditions or injuries. It has many benefits over traditional, land-based therapy, including:
- Allows for easy mobility in a gravity reduced environment
- Decreases muscle spasms and pain
- Decreases stress on joints and spine
- Increases circulation and reduced edema (swelling)
University of Miami Health System offers an aquatic therapy pool at our UHealth Institute for Advanced Pain Management.
Who is a Candidate?
You may be a candidate for our aquatic therapy program if you have one of the following conditions or injuries:
- Back and neck pain
- Balance and gait disorders
- Joint replacements, such as knee, hip, or ankle
- Multiple sclerosis
- Obesity-related limitations
- Orthopedic injuries
- Osteoporosis (disease that causes the bones to be weak and brittle)
- Sports injuries
What to Expect
We customize your aquatic therapy program to help you meet your goals. Our therapy pool is heated to enhance comfort, maximize rehab potential, and promote function. As you build strength, you will progress to land exercise.
Why Choose UHealth?
World-class care in an academic health. As a research and teaching institution, we treat children and adults with proven, leading-edge procedures based on clinical studies performed at the Miller School of Medicine. Our doctors, residents, nurses, and therapists work together to improve health care.
Questions? We're here to help.
Our appointment specialists are ready to help you find what you need. Contact us today.