Exercise oncology at Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center provides patients the opportunity to develop practical ways of adopting a healthier, more active lifestyle during and after cancer treatment.
We offer two exercise oncology programs:
- Exercise Oncology clinic: This allows you to meet one-on-one with our exercise physiologist and receive individualized feedback on your current activity and a personalized recommendation for exercise.
- U Survive & Thrive program: This is an eight-week, supervised fitness program designed for patient recovery after treatment. We currently offer this program only on the medical campus.
Benefits of Participating
The benefits of being physically active during and after cancer treatment include:
- Improve endurance and physical function
- Improve strength and lean body mass
- Improve weight management
- Reduced anxiety and depression symptoms
- Reduced cancer-related fatigue
- Reduced treatment-related deconditioning
We encourage people with any type of cancer or undergoing any type of cancer treatment to participate in our exercise oncology programs. We particularly welcome those who may have difficulty with physical activity or exercise, weight gain, loss of strength or muscle mass, or fatigue.
How It Works
At your first visit, you will meet with one of our specially-trained doctors, who will ask you questions and gather information about you, your goals, and your needs, and conduct a comprehensive fitness assessment. We will then create an individualized treatment plan according to your diagnosis, course of treatment, and overall lifestyle and wellness goals.
To schedule your visit, call 305-243-8204.