Exercise oncology at Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center provides patients the opportunity to develop practical ways of adopting a healthier, more active lifestyle during and after cancer treatment.
We offer two exercise oncology programs:
- Exercise Oncology Clinic: This allows you to meet one-on-one with our exercise physiologist and receive individualized feedback on your current activity and a personalized recommendation for exercise.
- Virtual Exercise Classes: These exercise classes are tailored in a group format to meet the needs of those living with different types of cancers.
Benefits of Participating
The benefits of being physically active prior, during, and after cancer treatment include:
- Improve endurance and physical function
- Improve strength and lean body mass
- Improve weight management
- Improve balance and coordination
- Reduced anxiety and depression symptoms
- Reduced cancer-related fatigue
- Reduced treatment-related deconditioning
- Improve recovery outcomes after treatment such as surgery
- Live and real-time exercise sessions with the exercise physiologist based on your fitness goals and needs.
We encourage people with any type of cancer or undergoing any type of cancer treatment to participate in our exercise oncology programs. We particularly welcome those who may have difficulty with physical activity or exercise, weight gain, loss of strength or muscle mass, or fatigue.
How It Works
At your first visit, you will meet with one of our specially trained exercise physiologists, who will ask you questions and gather information about you, your goals, and your needs. We will then create an individualized treatment plan according to your diagnosis, course of treatment, and overall lifestyle and wellness goals.
To schedule your visit, call 305-243-8204.