There are several paranasal sinus and nasal (nose) cancers. They get their names from the bones that surround them, including:
- The frontal sinuses in the lower forehead above the nose
- The maxillary sinuses are the cheekbones on either side of the nose
- The ethmoid sinuses beside the upper nose and between the eyes
- The sphenoid sinuses behind the nose in the center of the skull
Squamous cell carcinoma is often diagnosed in the paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity. Squamous cells are thin, flat cells inside the sinuses and nasal cavity.
Other paranasal sinus and nasal cavity cancers include:
- Melanoma: This cancer begins growing in melanocytes, which are cells that give your skin its natural color.
- Sarcoma: Sarcomas are cancers that grow inside muscle or connective tissue.
- Inverting papilloma: Benign tumors that form inside the nose. Very few inverting papillomas become cancer.
- Midline granulomas: These cancers are in the tissues found in the middle of the face.
Why Choose Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center?
Sylvester is an NCI-designated cancer center. The National Cancer Institute has recognized Sylvester for its outstanding work conducting research in its laboratories, treating patients in its clinics and hospitals, and reaching out to medically underserved communities with innovative prevention strategies.
Ranked in the nation’s top tier by U.S. News & World Report. The ranking reflects the team’s dedication to excellence in research patient care and outcomes. Surgeons, audiologists, biomedical engineers, speech pathologists, researchers, and psychologists collaborate with many research programs at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine to deliver the best possible multidisciplinary care to pediatric and adult ear, nose, and throat patients.
More board-certified head and neck surgical specialists than any other South Florida provider. Our team offers advanced, simplified surgery solutions. In the majority of cases requiring reconstruction, you have just one operation for cancer removal and any reconstructive surgery. Sylvester is one of the best places in the country for simultaneous head and neck cancer surgery and microvascular reconstruction.
Multidisciplinary care teams with nationally recognized expertise. Your care team is made up of experts in all aspects of your exact type of cancer. All of your physicians, nurses, and more collaborate to save lives.
Questions? We're here to help.
Our appointment specialists are ready to help you find what you need. Contact us today.