Patient Stories FAQs
Each story submitted undergoes a review process, so it will not be added to the website right away. Stories are reviewed to be sure they are:
- Clear and easy to understand
- Accurate in the representation of the medical information provided
- Free of any content that could be offensive
- Free of any advertisements
Once your story has been posted, one of our team members will reach out to you via email to notify you and invite you to share the story with your friends and family.
We may correct simple spelling or grammatical errors to ease the experience of our readers. If there are any major questions or alterations that come up in our review of your story, one of our team members will reach out to you using the contact information provided before the story is posted.
We will not publish stories to our website which are deemed to be:
- Offensive to our web visitors. This would include items that are potentially:
- Obscene or vulgar (or contain nudity)
- Insulting or demeaning to any race, gender, or creed
- Threatening or harassing
- Libelous or slanderous to our health system or another organization
- Shared without regard to our HIPAA Patient Privacy Policies
For more information on how we will use your story and information, please visit Use and Access.
- Stories will be featured on our website for approximately 1 year. After that period, they will be removed from the website.
- Stories shared on our social media platforms will remain.
- If at any point you would like to have your story taken down, Please contact us here
For additional questions, please contact the Patient Stories Team at SylvesterPatientStories@med.miami.edu.
- Focus on your unique journey or a specific experience to include your thoughts and feelings.
- Avoid writing about customer service. Contact Us instead if you have issues requiring immediate attention. You can also call us at 305-243-HELP (4357) or email us at HeretoHelp@med.miami.edu.
- Do not include any personally identifiable information, such as full names.
Photo and Video Tips
- Include a complimentary photo of yourself to accompany your testimonial.
- Do not attach any photos that require a copyright if you do not hold that copyright.
- Images must be at least 500 pixels in width.
- You can record video on your phone, tablet, or computer.
- A link is available in the testimonial form that will allow you to upload the video.
- Choose a quiet location with limited to no background noise.
- Avoid spaces with a significant echo like a large, empty room. Smaller, furnished rooms are best for improved sound quality.
- Opt for seating without wheels so you remain on camera.
Setting Up Your Phone / Camera
- Place your computer, phone, or camera on a steady surface and/or tripod.
- Shoot horizontally to mirror a television screen.
- Position camera at or just above eye level so that you are looking directly into the camera.
- Choose a neutral background without reflective items or clutter.
- Record during daytime hours for improved lighting.
- Face a window and/or other light source. Move away from overhead lights.
- Place additional lighting in front of you such as a lamp or a ring light that can attach to a computer or mobile device.
- Look into the camera lens at least offering periodic glances for genuine engagement.
- Limit the use of your hands. Instead move your shoulders and head in a controlled manner for added energy and emotional understanding.
- Take a deep breath and relax. It’s your story that you’re sharing.
- Use positive facial expressions to show your feelings. You could inspire another patient.