The testicles are a very sensitive part of the male body, and there are a number of potential causes of testicular pain. You can experience testicular pain after sustaining an injury to your genitals, or it may be caused by an internal problem, such as in the abdomen or groin.
Causes can include:
- Diabetic neuropathy (nerve condition caused by diabetes)
- Epididymitis (inflammation of the testicles)
- Gangrene (tissue death due to insufficient blood supply)
- Henoch-Schonlein purpura (inflammation of the blood vessels)
- Hydrocele (build-up of fluid in the scrotum)
- Inguinal hernia
- Kidney stones
- Mumps (viral infection that affects the glands)
- Orchitis (inflammation of the testicles)
- Scrotal masses
- Side effect of some medications, including antibiotics or chemotherapy drugs
- Spermatocele (build-up of fluid in the testicle)
- Injury to the testicles
- Testicular cancer
- Testicular torsion
- Undescended testicle (a testicle that hasn’t moved into the scrotum prior to birth)
- Urinary tract infection (UTI)
- Varicocele (enlarged veins in the scrotum)
In some cases, the cause of testicular pain cannot be determined. This is known as idiopathic testicular pain. The urologic experts at the University of Miami Health System are highly experienced in identifying and treating all types of testicular pain, and are here to help you find relief.
Why Choose UHealth?
Innovative, expert urology care. Our team of urology experts delivers advanced care for all urologic conditions. We use the latest research and the least invasive procedures to help you feel better and recover more quickly. Our experienced urologists design a personalized treatment plan to give you the best possible results.
Advanced research in men’s health. Our urologists are dedicated to men’s health and conduct innovative research into many conditions. Our expert team has helped develop new minimally invasive and robotic surgical procedures to treat cancers, incontinence, and more. We give you access to leading-edge treatments and clinical trials that aren’t widely available. In addition, we have established the eighth fellowship program in the nation dedicated solely to teaching physicians how to care for men’s health.
Leaders in robotic surgery treatment. We have some of the world’s most experienced robotic surgeons for urologic procedures. In fact, doctors come from all over the world to learn at our Urology Robotic Program — the #1 ranked program in South Florida. The University of Miami Health System was the first academic medical center in the world to get the da Vinci Xi robotic surgery system and has completed more than 5,000 robotic surgeries — procedures that offer less pain and scarring and a faster recovery.