- Be a junior faculty clinical researcher at Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center who completed subspecialty training within the last five years and is board-certified or board-eligible in one of the following clinical oncology disciplines: surgical, medical, radiation, gynecologic, urologic, head and neck, or pediatric oncology.
- Be a US citizen, non-citizen national, or permanent resident (due to requirements of the K12 grant).
- Devote 75% effort to clinical research (50% for surgical specialties) for the two-year K12 term.
- Have the support of a mentor approved by the program.
- Not currently hold a mentored career development grant (e.g., ACS career award, K series); not have major independent grants (R01, P01, P50, or other equivalent research grant awards).
A written application will be required from each candidate, including the items listed below. The application should not exceed the page length recommendations below. (Items without page length recommendations are excluded from the page limit.)
- Cover/title page
- Grant summary (1/2 page): Provide an abstract of the proposed research project, summarizing clinical need, hypothesis, aims, and clinical significance of potential findings.
- Candidate overview (1/2 page): List previous training and experience.
- Personal statement (1/2 page): Explain long-term career goals and short-term objectives.
- Career development plan (2 pages): Describe an individualized training program, including:
- Participation in the Institutional Clinical Research Curriculum
- Coursework in pursuit of an MS or MPH degree
- Participation in relevant short courses, such as informatics, communication, biosafety, and scientific writing
- Preceptorships outside the institution (FDA, NIH CTEP, biopharmaceutical industry)
- Research project (2 pages): Describe the proposed clinical research project.
- Budget and justification: Prepare a detailed budget and justification with your departmental administrator. A start date by June 1, 2019, is expected. Budgets will be administratively reviewed.
- Selection of mentor(s) (1 page): Provide rationale for this choice; qualifications of mentor(s); plans for mentored project(s) to be conducted, including how the applicant’s approach will differ from that of the mentor(s) and how the applicant’s approach will complement that of the mentor(s).
- Biosketch in NIH format
- 3 letters of recommendation:
- Chief/Chairman: Include a detailed plan for assuring 75% protected time for clinical research (50% for surgical specialties) and plans for career and leadership development of the awardee.
- Mentor(s): Include plans for career and leadership development of the awardee and a specific statement of sufficient time and dedication to development of the awardee.
- One additional letter of recommendation from a previous mentor or other individual familiar with the applicant’s potential.
How to Apply
Application materials should be submitted electronically as a single PDF.
Submit application materials to:
Senior Project Manager
Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center
|March 4, 2019||Applications due|
|April 15, 2019||Notification of candidates|
|June 1, 2019||Scholars start date|