Sarcomas, cancers of the bones and soft tissues, are extremely rare, making up only one percent of all adult cancers. Even so, the number of sarcoma patients seen at the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center is rapidly increasing, with more than 900 new patients seen last year.
Sarcomas develop from cells that maintain the structure or cushion other organs in our bodies, including bone, cartilage, muscle, fat, and tendons. They can develop anywhere in the body: the extremities, head and neck, or inside the chest and abdominal cavities.
About 80% of sarcomas begin in the body's soft tissues (cartilage, muscle, fat, and tendons). The other 20% arise in the bones. The greatest numbers of bone tumors are metastatic and spread from cancer in a different organ like the lung, colon, or breast. They are treated as if they were in the original location. For example, primary bone sarcomas, or bone cancers, are treated by our sarcoma specialists.
Conditions and Treatments
- Primary Bone Sarcomas
Ewing Sarcoma or Tumor
Giant Cell Tumors of Bone
- Soft Tissue Sarcomas
Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors (GIST)
Undifferentiated Pleomorphic Sarcoma
Tenosynovial Giant Cell Tumor (formerly known as Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis)
Why Choose Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center?
Sylvester is an NCI-designated cancer center. The National Cancer Institute has recognized Sylvester for its outstanding work conducting research in its laboratories, treating patients in its clinics and hospitals, and reaching out to medically underserved communities with innovative prevention strategies.
High volume experience treating many cases of sarcoma, bone, and soft tissue cancers. Our experience means better outcomes and fewer potential complications.
Targeted therapies and clinical trials for patients with tumor mutations. You can receive the most advanced treatment options available in the South Florida region.
Advanced radiation oncology tools. Our sophisticated technology provides precise tumor targeting, improved results, and less potential damage to nearby healthy tissue.These tools include RapidArc® intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), ViewRay MRI-guided radiation therapy (one of only five in the country), and a Siemens 4D-CT scanner.
Expertise in custom-designed artificial prostheses, joints, and bone grafts. We can offer improved mobility and greater self-confidence for those with advanced cancers.
One of only four designated Cancer Centers of Excellence in Florida. We treat cancer, and only cancer, giving you the best potential outcomes. You can be confident knowing you are in the best possible place to treat your cancer in South Florida.
Comprehensive sarcoma tissue bank and registry. You have the option to give back to help future patients through research that's developing tomorrow’s improved therapies.
NanoKnife® treatment for previously considered inoperable tumors. This advanced approach, done under general anesthesia, produces very little pain and requires only a brief hospital stay — usually overnight — because it causes fewer side effects. Also called irreversible electroporation (IRE), NanoKnife can be repeated if new lesions develop. Sylvester was the first provider in Florida to provide this advanced treatment.
Questions? We're here to help.
Our appointment specialists are ready to help you find what you need. Contact us today.