The Comprehensive Research Experiences to Advance Training and Education (CREATE) program at the University of Miami Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center is a 10-week intensive summer research training experience designed for college students who are preparing for careers in cancer biology research.
Thanks to an NCI R25 Grant, the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center launched the inaugural CREATE program for Summer 2022 to enhance its efforts in building and diversifying the pipeline for the future leaders of cancer research. Scholars will have the opportunity to experience mentored research in the laboratories of world-class faculty, as well as the clinical, technological and educational resources at Sylvester. Through academic development and mentoring, CREATE scholars will access a roadmap of the most cutting-edge tools and concepts in oncology.
Our CREATE scholars will benefit from:
- Individual lab projects addressing critical and impactful questions in cancer research
- Mini bootcamps on understanding computational and bioinformatics approaches in oncology research
- Workshops on academic skills, career training, graduate school & research options
- Fieldtrips centered around community outreach and cancer disparities
- Scientific writing and presentation experience
- Interactions with Sylvester leadership
As a result of intensive research and mentorship, CREATE Scholars will exit the program with an increased awareness and preparedness for post-baccalaureate studies in the field of oncology. At the final Symposium, all scholars will have the opportunity to give a formal scientific presentation and to demonstrate their comprehensive training and knowledge as a result of their summer research experience.
Program Applicant Requirements
- Strong interest in pursuing a doctoral program in oncological research
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- In good standing at current institution
- Rising undergraduate junior or senior
- Majoring in a science-based curriculum
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (4.0 scale)
- Final Application Deadline: January 26th, 2024
- Decision Notification: Early March 2024
- Program Dates: May 20 to July 26, 2024 (move-in May 19th)
We will provide a stipend and housing on our Coral Gables campus for all CREATE Scholars.
We encourage women, underrepresented minorities, and disadvantaged students to apply to our program. Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions
Application and Instructions
Completed online applications and all supporting documents must be submitted by the application deadline. Required materials to complete the application include:
- Two letters of recommendation emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A copy of your curriculum vitae or resume
- A copy of your transcript(s)
- Answers to the six additional questions available for download on first page of the application: Word, PDF.
Please attach all supporting materials (except letters of recommendation) as a single PDF as part of your online application, and submit it no later than 11:59 p.m. on January 26, 2024. Please contact us if you’re unable to create a single PDF.
We will not consider incomplete applications or those submitted after the deadline.