The Hematology/Oncology Nurse Practitioner Fellow’s role at the University of Miami, Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center is aimed at providing specialized training in the management of hematological and oncological patients in a variety of settings to ensure optimal quality of care and gaining necessary skill sets to develop and strengthen proficiencies within the clinical setting while learning to collaborate within a multidisciplinary team of healthcare providers. The fellowship offers training in the following tracks:
- Hematology and Oncology
- Adult Stem Cell Transplant and Cellular Therapy
- Clinical Research
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dedicated to developing leaders in the field of Hematology Oncology through education, mentoring, and training of advanced practice nurses who will enhance the health of diverse communities using the latest research, technology and treatment options.
Requirements and Application
The Nurse Practitioner Fellow will complete rotations in a variety of clinical setting located within in all UMHC/Sylvester to include both the inpatient and outpatient settings over a period of approximately 52 weeks.
Hematology Oncology Rotation Time:
- Hospital Orientation: 1 week
- Didactics (Chemo/Bio & UChart/Beacon): Continual
- Clinical Rotations: 41 weeks
- Clinical Specialty Focus: 8 weeks
- Vacation: 2 weeks
- Total: 52 Weeks
*Specialty Tracks schedule may vary
Minimum Qualifications (Essential Requirements):
- Graduate of Master in Science in Nursing with approved APRN Curriculum or higher
- Florida Licensure as APRN from Florida Board of Nursing
- Board Certification as APRN from nationally accredited organization such as American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or American Academy of Nurse Practitioner (AANP)
- Current Certification in BLS and ACLS, Medical Errors (HIV/AIDS & Domestic Violence done on initial certification)
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Good interpersonal relationships
- Basic Computer Knowledge in Microsoft
- CITI certification upon employment
Applications Required Documents
- Application form (Download PDF)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of Intent
- Curriculum Vitae
- College Transcripts (unofficial/official)
Frequently Asked Questions
- One year or less as a Nurse Practitioner
- Minimum of one-year bedside nursing experience
- Hematology oncology experience as a registered nurse or during advanced practice clinical rotations preferred.
Once search process for NP fellows begin, you will be contacted initially for a phone interview, if selected then the candidate will proceed to a panel interview, followed by a collaborating physician interview.
Candidates selected for a panel interview will meet with nursing administrators, APRN’s, faculty and staff. Business attire is highly recommended.
- Medical Insurance
- Life Insurance
- There is no financial assistance provided for relocation or housing expenses.
- Participates in 360° peer review process.
- The APRN fellow is expected to complete all competencies and training specified for all nurse practitioners working at Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of Miami.
- Successful completion of ONS Chemotherapy & Biotherapy Course.
- Attendance during weekly educational grand rounds.
- Attendance during disease specific team meetings.
- Attendance during educational sessions provided by department of nursing.
- *Advanced Oncology Certified Nurse Practitioner (AOCNP) certification prior to completion of fellowship.
- *Publication of a manuscript to a peer-reviewed journal.
- *Speaker engagement program either locally or at a national conference
- *Develop and implementation of a quality/process improvement project.
- No weekends, with the exception of requests made by Sylvester Administration