The Flow Cytometry Shared Resource is located in a 1,243 square-foot, open-access/limited-access facility. The shared resource is equipped with the following instruments:
- BD FACS Canto-II, 8-color, flow cytometric analyzer
- BD LSR-II, 12-color, flow cytometric analyzer
- BD LSR-Fortessa-HTS, 19-color, high-throughput, flow cytometric analyzer
- BD FACS Aria Fusion, 11-color, flow cytometric cell sorter, with integrated BSL-2 bio-containment
- BD FACS Aria-IIu, 17-color, flow cytometric cell sorter, housed in a Baker BioProtect-II, BSL-2 bio-safety cabinet
- BD FACS Aria-II, 10 color, flow cytometric cell sorter
- Zeiss fluorescence microscope
- Invitrogen Countess cell counter
Access to the FCSR’s instruments
Individual users can be trained to independently operate the Canto-II flow cytometric analyzer. With advanced training, select users may also independently operate the LSR-II and LSR-Fortessa-HTS analyzers. Cell sorting is performed with the three FACS Aria cell sorters, and only by the facility’s operators. Sorting is available on-demand, for after-hours and weekend operation.
- FACS Canto-II Analyzer
The three-laser, fully digital FACS Canto-II analyzer is used for up to eight-color (ten-parameter) analysis of cell samples. It has a new PC workstation, which now runs the DiVa-8 software.
- LSR-II Analyzer
The LSR-II analyzer is a sophisticated, analytical instrument used for complex analysis of cell samples. Recently upgraded, it now has four lasers and is capable of 12-color analysis. This fully digital instrument is equipped with a new PC, which now runs the DiVa-8 software.
- LSR-Fortessa-HTS analyzer
The Fortessa analyzer is a sophisticated, analytical instrument used for complex analysis of cell samples. It has five lasers and is capable of 19-color analysis. This fully digital instrument has a new PC, which now runs the DiVa-8 software. It is also fitted with an HTS high-throughput automated sample loader for rapid analysis of stained cells directly from culture plates.
- FACS Aria Cell Sorters – The three FACS Aria cell sorters are used for complex analysis and sorting of cell samples. The instruments incorporate a fixed-alignment flow cell for enhanced sensitivity of fluorescent detection and ease of optical alignment. All Arias are fitted with “Whisper” aerosol evacuation systems and are fully digital. They have new PCs, which now run the DiVa-8 software and are interfaced to printers.
- BD FACS Aria Fusion - a custom-built (SORP), sophisticated, high-speed cell sorter, with sample temperature control and an Automatic Cell Deposition Unit (ACDU), for sorting on to culture plates and for single cell flow-cloning. It has four lasers and is capable of up to 11-color simultaneous fluorescence analysis. Optical alignment is not required, and drop-delay calculation is automated. This is a new, advanced-level sorter, with integrated bio-containment for sorting of hazardous BSL-2 samples.
- BD FACS SORP Aria-IIu - a high-speed cell sorter, with an ACDU and temperature control. It has five lasers for up to 17-color analysis and cell sorting. This instrument is housed in a Baker BioProtect-II bio-safety cabinet for sorting of BSL-2 samples. Optical alignment is not required and drop-delay calculation is automated. This is also a SORP, advanced-level sorter.
- BD FACS SORP Aria-II - a high-speed cell sorter, which has four lasers and is capable of up to 10-color simultaneous analysis of BSL-1 samples only.
- Zeiss fluorescence microscope – The Zeiss fluorescence microscope has a camera attachment for the examination of fluorescent cell samples, before and/or after cell sorting.
- Invitrogen Countess cell counter – uses just 10ul. of sample to provide a total cell count, plus analysis of cell viability using Trypan Blue dye.
- Data analysis software – We have site licenses for both the FlowJo and FCS Express software packages, with seats on each available for annual fees.